Copy

Open New York fundraising

I'm pleased to announce that Open New York has hit a big milestone--we're officially incorporated and have a working bank account! If you'll look at our website, you'll notice a shiny new "Donate Now" button.  I'm writing to ask you all to put it to work.

This is a big step, but it's a first step--New York is still in the grips of a housing crisis caused by inadequate supply.  Donating to Open New York gives us the resources we need to start fighting back.  

To mark the occasion, I'd like to give you a brief overview of where we stand, and our plans for the future.  tl;dr We have a few thousand dollars to raise in the next month, and in the medium term we'd like to raise more than that, to work on some really exciting goals. 

The initial startup costs for ONY totalled $3,500 for legal fees, payment processing setup, and other admin expenses.  Raising that sum is our target for the month of January.  Once we get that done, though, we can start to explore other ways to make a difference:
  • Paying for meeting space and materials.  Flyers cost money; so does room rental for meetings and social events.  Donating to ONY will ensure that these expenses can be met and expanded in the future.
  • Legislative help.  ONY needs to expand our legislative intelligence--our knowledge of what bills are coming down the pike in the Council or in Albany, and our knowledge of the key players in making things happen.  We've made big strides in this area, but could use more help--including professional help.  Donating to ONY could help us understand the legislative landscape more effectively.
  • Full-time organizers.  ONY would hugely benefit from having a full-time executive director to coordinate activities and meetings, guide our organizational strategy, and grow the organization through recruitment.  Donating to ONY will help us demonstrate that we're a serious and sustainable organization, and put us on the path to hiring full-time staff and really putting the housing fight in NYC on the next level.
There are so many exciting developments going on with ONY right now--the SoHo fight, incorporation, alliances with the YIMBY movement on the West Coast, YIMBYtown, the list goes on.  I'm incredibly thrilled and honored to be a part of it, and everyone reading this should be as well.  2020 will be the year we kick some asses and make ourselves heard--please donate so that we can be as effective as possible.  Thank you all, and here's to the fight in 2020!

Sincerely yours,

Dan Miller, Treasurer
Facebook
Twitter
Website
Instagram
View this email in your browser.

Update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

This email was sent to acf67@cornell.edu
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Open New York · 80 Broad Street, 5th Floor, #3587 · New York, NY 10004 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp