I've written this to be a Pareto Principle-style guide covering the essentials of getting started and the key things I wish I'd known since day one.
I think a solid system for learning is essential for any EA and is an extremely powerful way to increase your leverage in you career & life, so would highly recommend following the guide and giving it a go :)
Let me know what you think!
- Anki is free for desktop & Android, $25 for iOS. I spend almost all of my Anki time on desktop.
- It’s very easy to pick up but there are some key things to do and avoid.
- Using anki is split into making and reviewing flashcards.
- You can create multiple decks. I recommend having decks for topics, all nested under a master deck.
- Allows overall new cards per day to be set via master deck (bottleneck).
- Cloze deletion is the best card type.
- Number of cards per day.
- Anki as a daily habit.
- Tips for starting strong.
- Make your flashcards in plain text document (!!!).
- Don’t make “orphan” cards.
- Master deck with subdecks.
- Make it clear what card is about.
- Recognise cards that won’t be memorable and make supporting cards.
- 20 rules of formulating knowledge, key ones:
- First, Understand.
- Start with big picture & build on the basics.
- Use mnemonic techniques.
- Optimise wording.