Rethink Priorities recently opened a new position for a Communications Coordinator. We're excited to work with a communications expert to improve our visuals and texts, so if you're interested or know anyone who might be a good fit, please let us know. Feel free to leave any questions you have about this position in the comments, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The effective altruism movement is allocating hundreds of millions of dollars and millions of person hours each year to improve the world. Better research can dramatically improve this allocation. Rethink Priorities is a research organization aimed at uncovering the actionable insights needed to do this. We have founding values — we care about transparency, tractability, short feedback loops, actionability, and impact assessment.
Since the beginning of 2018, we’ve:
- Constructed cost-benefit intervention analyses for farmed animal welfare.
- Conducted polls, surveys, and message testing to better understand how the public thinks about animal welfare and other important topics. Our work has been used by Open Phil, The Centre for Effective Altruism, the Humane Society for the United States, Mercy for Animals, the Humane League, Forethought Foundation, The Centre for the Study of Existential Risk, EA-aligned lobbyists, and others.
- Brought to light the important and neglected area of invertebrate welfare.
- Created quantitative existential risk assessments, starting with nuclear war.
- Analyzed the effective altruism movement through the EA Survey and the Local Groups survey.
- And much much more!
Rethink Priorities is currently at an exciting growth phase that will allow us to develop more high quality research, and reach a bigger audience. We're hiring a Communications Coordinator to help shape the way our research interacts with stakeholders, grantors, and our audience.
We’re looking for someone to lead Rethink Priorities’ strategic communications; Through this work, we’re looking for someone who will enhance the overall impact of the effective altruism movement by making our findings accessible to key decision-makers in the different cause areas we work in a very actionable way. As an experienced communicator with a good understanding of our work, we want to identify the best ways to convey key insights from our research to our different audiences. These include fellow researchers, nonprofit organization leaders, grantmakers, prospective donors, and increasingly also policymakers. We’re looking for someone to develop and promote our visual identity across different communication channels and platforms, join our Operations Team, and report directly to the Director of Development. Over the next few years, this position may also have the opportunity to build up an entire communications team.
Exceptional judgment is highly valuable for us, as it will help us prioritize where and how to communicate our mission so that we can achieve maximum impact.
This role is fully remote and we’re able to legally hire from most countries, however we prefer applicants to be located in North, Central and South American Time Zones, as well as African and European Time Zones (UTC-8 to UTC+3). We’re looking preferably for a full-time staff. The salary for this position is between $69,000 and $72,000 USD annually.
If you’re interested in this position, please apply here no later than October 24th by end of day in your local time zone.
What you’ll do
- Develop and implement RP’s communications strategy
- Lead our brand management and ensure that our voice is consistent across all channels
- Produce style guides for our communications
- Prepare texts written by researchers and other staff for publication
- Be in charge of our visual communication, including providing guidance on data visualization
- Oversee work with graphic designers and copyeditors, as needed
- Write newsletters and oversee the creation of tailor-made publications for key stakeholders of our work
- Create visual resources for internal use as needed, such as templates, presentations, and images for our various operational needs, such as reporting, onboardings, guides and manuals, agendas, internal newsletters, etc.
- Lead website design in Squarespace and web content creation
- Shape our presence on social media (develop the strategy and produce content)
- Manage our public relations and respond to media inquiries
- Conduct communication trainings for staff
Your experience and skills
- Strong understanding of effective altruism and longtermism
- Previous experience (at least 2 years) in a generalist communications role, including producing written content, editing complex texts, leading public relations, managing social media, and overseeing graphic design and web design
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Interest in at least some of the different cause areas RP is working in (EA Movement Research, Longtermism, Animal Welfare, Global Health and Development)
- Comfort with independent, remote work (we’re a 100% remote team across several continents)
- Writing skills suited to the context of an EA think tank: exceptional rigor, reasoning transparency and considerateness matter more than traditional marketing norms
- Exceptional judgment in identifying mediums of communication to use, to eliminate, or deprioritize
- Ability to communicate complex topics with nuance to various audiences (especially those who may not be familiar with these fields of research)
- Fluency in English
- A sense of visual aesthetics
- Basic graphic design skills
- Experience communicating about EA research on complex topics, either in a formal role, or informally (such as in a blog)
- Good judgment in handling delicate PR situations
- Competence in dealing with media
- Web design experience
What we offer
- Salary between $69,000 and $72,000 USD annually for a full-time position, prorated for part-time work
- Contribute to a fast-growing, high-impact organization — our research is used by key decision makers who influence hundreds of millions of dollars
- Flexible work hours
- Flexible work location
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance covered 100% by Rethink Priorities for partners and families where relevant locally
- Generous family leave (six months paid at full salary, regardless of gender)
- Organization-wide mid- and end-of-year breaks, plus unlimited vacation and personal time off (several additional weeks in practice)
- A caring team that looks out for each other, is friendly, respectful, and values having a healthy work-life balance
- 10% of your time can be devoted to professional development / learning / projects you want to pursue outside your assigned tasks
- Low bureaucracy
- We don’t provide snacks but we could mail you a box of Oreos if you want
Rethink Priorities is committed to building an inclusive, equitable and supportive community for you to thrive and do your best work; We’re committed to finding the best talent for our team, so please don’t hesitate to apply for a role regardless of your age, gender identity, political identity, personal preferences, physical abilities, veteran status, or any other background you may identify with. If you’d like to know more about what working at Rethink Priorities is like, you’re welcome to visit our Career Opportunities site.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions about this role.