I am one of the organizers for my department's graduate conference this year, and I wanted to promote it on the EA forum, as I take it to be a good opportunity for EA graduate students to receive feedback on their work.
The theme for this year is Security and Justice: Lessons From a Global Pandemic. I advocated for this theme as I felt it would give EA graduate students the opportunity to present their work on topics related to existential risk, particularly those that focus on the ethical importance of pandemic preparedness, and on developing institutions that help to promote security by reducing tail risks. That said, I think any graduate paper that is focused on an EA topic would be a good fit for the conference.
The conference is interdisciplinary, online, and set at a time to accommodate people living in the UK and on the US west coast.
PUBLIC ISSUES and PUBLIC REASON
A Conference of Applied Ethics and Critical Social Sciences
Location: Zoom videoconference, from Carleton University, Ottawa
Tuesday, October 20, and Wednesday, October 21
Call for Abstracts: Application deadline September 15, 2020
Submissions are welcome from graduate students in philosophy, law, social sciences, public policy, political theory, economics, and health policy on any topic related to applied ethics, critical social sciences, and social/global challenges.
Instructions for applicants:
- Extended Abstracts (with title) should be 700-1000 words
- Full papers can be submitted if already prepared
- Applicants should remove any identifying information on the abstract and include a separate document with their name, email, affiliation
- Abstracts should be sent to email@example.com
- Full papers (no longer than 10,000 words) due October 15, 2020
- Accepted presenters will be allocated a total of 45 minutes for presentation and discussion.
- As this conference has significant workshopping elements, we suggest authors take only 5-10 minutes to explain the main elements of their paper before opening the session for discussion with other participants.
- Presenters will be asked to read 3 papers prepared by other presenters and should come prepared to offer feedback and comments.
- Notification of acceptance by September 25, 2020
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org