Over the past couple weeks, multiple people have asked me for reading recommendations related to consciousness and more specifically, getting caught up to speed with QRI (Qualia Research Institute).
The large interest made me realize it’s worth just publishing the reading list I share.
Hopefully, there will be an Intro to QRI book that gets published in the next few months, but until then, this should be a great start 😊. Besides pieces 1, 1a, 3, and 16, all other pieces were written by Andrés Gómez Emilsson and Michael Edward Johnson.
- Consciousness Realism: The Non-Eliminativist Physicalist View of Consciousness (Magnus Vinding)
1a (Optional). What Is It Like to Be a Bat? (Thomas Nagel)
- QRI Glossary
- Their Scientific Significance is Hard to Oversate (David Pearce)
- The Tyranny of the Intentional Object
- Wireheading Done Right: Stay Positive Without Going Insane
- The Universal Plot: Part I – Consciousness vs. Pure Replicators
7a (Optional). Utilitronium Shockwaves vs. Gradients of Bliss
- Principia Qualia: Part II – Valence
8a (Optional). Symmetry Theory of Valence “Explain Like I’m 5” edition
- The Super-Shulgin Academy: A Singularity I Can Believe In
Extra Reading (Once You Get Through Those Above!)
17. Principia Qualia