Effective Altruism Animal Welfare Fund is looking for applications. The deadline to be considered for the distribution cycle is coming up. You can apply here:
Apply to the Animal Welfare Fund
The Animal Welfare Fund makes grants on the regular grantmaking schedule, with recommendations made in February, July, and November each year. The Fund has rolling applications. However, any application received after the deadline for each round will receive a response around five months later during the next evaluation period. The application window for the coming round will end on the 6th of February 2020.
The Animal Welfare Fund aims to effectively improve the well-being of nonhuman animals, by making grants that focus on one or more of the following:
- Relatively neglected geographic regions or groups of animals
- Promising research into animal advocacy or animal well-being
- Activities that could make it easier to help animals in the future
- Otherwise best-in-class opportunities
Some examples of concrete projects that the Fund could support:
- Supporting farmed animal advocacy in Asia
- Researching ways to improve the welfare of farmed fish
- Growing the field of welfare biology in order to improve our understanding of different ways to address wild animal suffering
- Advocating against the use of some cruel practice within the industrial agriculture system
To get a better idea of what kind of projects we might be interested in funding, you can review our grant write-ups for November 2019 and July 2019. Note that the projects we have funded so far do not present an exhaustive list of types of projects we might be interested in funding.
For more information about EA Animal Welfare Fund, see our page.
Is the deadline at a specific time on February 6th, or before the 6th (i.e. EOD the 5th)? The wording is just slightly vague.
Thanks for all you do!
Thanks for asking for clarification.
One can submit an application until the end of the 6th of February (24:00 GMT).