TLDR: We need your help getting the word out about the book launch for The Life You Can Save! Check out the bullet points below.
The Life You Can Save is delighted to formally announce the launch of the 10th Anniversary Edition of Peter Singer’s “The Life You Can Save” on the 3rd December 2019, timed to coincide with Giving Tuesday.
We will provide free ebooks and audiobooks with the aim of spreading awareness about effective giving, effective altruism, and high impact global health and development charities to new and unreached audiences.
The audiobook is narrated by celebrity supporters including Kristen Bell, Stephen Fry, Paul Simon, Natalia Vodianova, and Marc Evan Jackson, and will be available for download on The Life You Can Save’s website on 3rd December 2019.
We are incredibly grateful for the offers of support from the Effective Altruist community, particularly EA organizations, local groups, and the One For The World (OFTW) chapters.
Below is a list of incredibly helpful actions you can take and opportunities you might enjoy! Your key contact for these actions is Kathryn Mecrow-Flynn. She can be contacted at email@example.com.
What you can get started on already:
- Help us reach new audiences: Encourage your members to contact their workplaces, and other professional contacts, and ask them if they would like to distribute free copies of the audiobook or ebook to their networks. For example, work at Citi? Reach out to your Corporate Social Responsibility Departments or internal Giving Circles. If you have contacts that might be a good fit, please let us know. Here’s a PDF you can use when talking to companies.
- Tell us your stories: Did The Life You Can Save and/or Professor Singer change your life? We want to hear from you! Record a 1-minute video or write a testimonial and send it to Kathryn!
- East Coast US-based EAs? On Tuesday, 19 November 2019, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm, timed to coincide with One For The World’s Pledge week, The Life You Can Save, One For The World and The University Center for Human Values are organizing a Peter Singer launch lecture at Princeton University. If you are Princeton or East-coast-based and would like to attend, you are very welcome. Feel free to invite your friends and other contacts, particularly those new to effective giving. We will distribute free copies of the paperback.
- Start planning a ‘watch’ event with your group and tune in to the live broadcast of the Princeton event: We will additionally live stream the event and make available a video for anyone interested. This will be distributed on The Life You Can Save’s Facebook and other social media channels.
- Bulk order boxes of the paperback (Australia only): A box of 24 books is A$120+ shipping. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for queries or orders.
- Give family and friends an impactful book for Christmas.
- Ask your employer to buy a few boxes to give away to staff.
- Ask companies where you have contacts to buy a box or two to give away to their customers or staff.
From 3 December:
- Distribute a link to the free ebook and audiobook to your networks: We will make available a link to download the free ebook and audiobook for distribution through your newsletters and events. A generous donor has agreed to make a small donation every time someone downloads the book from our website.
- Post on social media: Post links to the free book download on your social media and to any other groups or channels that might be interested. Our only ask is that you tag The Life You Can Save and use the hashtags #SmartGivingSimplified and #TheLifeYouCanSave.
- Run a sign-up booth on campus: If you would like to run a launch event or sign-up booths to help us get the word out to campus communities, please contact us.
- Leave a review: Review the book on Amazon, Goodreads, Google, and blog about the book to help The Life You Can Save rise in the rankings.
- Download on Audible: if you’re an Audible customer and have unused credits that are about to expire, use one of them to download the audiobook from Audible, then leave a review.
It is a privilege to intersect with such an enthusiastic and helpful community. Thank you in advance for your assistance!