Hi there! Christmas is approaching. Some celebrate it (for varied reasons) and some don't. I personally do, since I grew up in a Christian family (though I'm not religious) and it's what we've always done. Gift-giving is something I also do; I give only to key figures in my life, but this year I'd like to be more deliberate about it (hence some of my questions below).
This 2014 thread is the most I've read about EA vis-a-vis Christmas. I'm pretty curious how the rest of the EA community thinks of and celebrates Christmas, so I typed up some questions and would love to read some of your answers below (feel free to pick any).
- Do you celebrate Christmas? Why or why not? (For example: religious reasons, company, etc.)
- If you do celebrate Christmas, what are some of your traditions? If you don't celebrate Christmas, what do you do around Christmas-time?
- What's a Christmas gift you would give someone interested/very engaged in EA (i.e. what would excite someone in the EA community, given what you know about it)?Would be cool to get EA or non-EA related suggestions. Some ideas: Hosting a Christmas charity fundraiser for a charity they’re passionate about, matching a donation, an EA-related book, plant-based food, letters/personalized scrapbooks, premiums on software or productivity apps they use, etc. (EDIT: I edited this question to distinguish giving gifts to people involved in EA)
- What’s a Christmas gift you would give someone not interested/involved in the EA community? Are you particularly conscious about it being EA-aligned or not?
- What's a Christmas gift you personally would want (whether EA-aligned/not)?
- What are your overall thoughts on Christmas or gift-giving (E.g. do you discourage gift-giving? Do you enjoy Christmas)?
Thanks for reading/answering! Happy December :)
P.S. Thanks to Aaron Gertler for the new title suggestion!