ag4000's Shortform

by ag400011th Jan 202114 comments
4 comments, sorted by Highlighting new comments since Today at 1:43 AM
New Comment

Sorry if this isn't directly related to EA.  What is a good way to measure one's own productivity?  I tend to measure the amount of time that I spend doing productive activities, but the discussion here seems to make a convincing case that measuring hours worked isn't the best method to do so.  

This is a really deep topic, but certainly worth asking about; if you're working on an impactful plan, raising your productivity raises your impact.

My favorite starting points for thinking about productivity:

• Productivity: A summary of what we know (LessWrong)
  • The book "Getting Things Done" (which is referenced in the above post, but is quite powerful on its own -- the best book I've read about productivity, out of many)
  • The Complice blog and app (a bit different from "standard" productivity systems, but as a self-contained system, it works well for many people I know)

Thanks so much! I've been doing some stuff related to GTD, but haven't read the whole book -- will do so.

I can also highly recommend Deep Work by Cal Newport, his main thesis is that 'real' work only happens/productivity is high when you're doing it for a few hours at a time instead of 15min blocks with constant interruptions. Edit: should have read the linked post first haha, so see this as another vote for Cal Newport