Motivation: Accredited / Experienced Investors gain access to high value investing, networking and startup formation opportunities.
Exact details vary by country, but in general there are three criteria to qualify as an Accredited / Experienced Investor:
- Financial Knowledge
If you meet ANY of the three criteria, you qualify as an Accredited / Experienced Investor.
In Ontario, Canada the criteria are roughly:
- Income (CAD) - over $200,000/year (individual) or over $300,000/year (with spouse)
- Assets (CAD) - over $5,000,000 in total assets net liabilities including primary residence or over $1,000,000 in financial assets net liabilities (excludes primary residence)
- Financial Knowledge - CFA Level 3 or equivalent (may have changed recently)
Please take these as a rough guideline only and check with a lawyer/financial advisor for exact details as they apply to your specific circumstances. If you find more details for your specific country/region or some interesting cypto-currency exceptions, please provide in comments.
$1M Question: HOW do I get there?
- Income - 80,000 hours has great content. Also, one awesome EA is offering Free Coaching for Software Developers in EA! Maybe other EAs will soon offer free mentoring/coaching for valuable skills too!!
- Assets - save, invest and join EA Entrepreneurs
- Financial Knowledge - join EA Finance and offer to create a CFA Exam Study Group
Note: please have a low-bar for commenting, especially if you have any of your own tips, offers to help, openness to connecting by LinkedIn, etc