In January, David Reinstein suggested creating a database of quick-win EA project ideas. In March, he created an Airtable to serve this purpose. With David's blessing, I've now taken over managing the database and I'm soliciting suggestions.
Here is a read-only link to the table. There are several useful views under the Projects tab. Note that this is still a very early draft/Minimum Viable Product, so it may lack polish. Skills, orgs, and categories are currently not fully fleshed out.
Here is the submission form for new project ideas. Because of the sources I've used, contents right now are mostly focused on AI Safety, so you can help by adding suggestions from other EA cause areas! Alternatively, comment here to give me an existing list to integrate or reference.
Here is the volunteer form. If you'd like to volunteer for any of these projects, this is a short form you can use to indicate interest.
What niche does this fill?
As I understand it, there presently exist plenty of EA job boards and volunteer opportunities. However, there's no central list of projects that anyone could do, especially "quick wins" that don't require an entire organization backing them. It seemed worthwhile to create and maintain such a list. This is also a chance for funders to register interest in paying for one-off projects they deem are worth doing.
What has been done so far?
- Added the AI Safety ideas posted by Ryan, Akash, and Severin.
- Divided into Quick Wins and Larger Projects by likely effort required.
- Added some organizations and skills to the list.
- Added submission forms for project ideas and volunteers.
What is planned for future development?
- Merge backend data with Alignment Ecosystem Development (eventually building separate views for AI Safety and other EA project categories).
- Add a funding submission form.
- Promote the database more broadly.
- Compare/contrast the EA Opportunity Board.
- Create a public-facing interface similar to the one for Alignment Ecosystem Development for non-AI-related EA projects.
How can you help?
- Suggest a new project or register yourself as working on one.
- Suggest a list of skills/aptitudes to include in the table.
- Suggest project categories that aren't yet listed.
- If you are interested in helping edit the table, or want to sponsor, manage, or fund a specific project, comment here to let me know.