If you run an EA student group we’d be interested in potentially enabling you to receive dozens to hundreds of EA books for you to use and give out at your student group. This service is run by a new student group support team made up of: James Aung, Emma Abele, Bella Forristal, and Henry Sleight; with support from Ed Fage.
If eligible, you’d be able to on-demand request books to be delivered to you within a few days and we’d cover the costs of the books and delivery.
Giving out EA books is a potentially quite cost-effective means of outreach: We think books are great because you can get someone to engage with EA ideas for ~10 hours, without it taking up any of your organiser time. Even if a given recipient is only ~20% likely to read the book, we believe it would still be cost-effective to give out the book.
We think the main bottleneck in these large book projects is finding ways to give people books in a way that doesn’t come across as weird or strange in your local context.
If you are interested in receiving dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of EA-relevant books for your local group, we’d love for you to order them through our service. Below we list out some example ways in which you might give out books at your group.
Give out books as part of your programs and events
- If you run a program such as an Introduction to EA Program/Fellowship, you could give out EA books to all your participants
- You can give away copies of books at your speaker events, intro talks, socials, careers fairs, and meet-ups.
- You can add an option to your event feedback forms for people to tick if they want to receive an EA book, and then deliver the book to them afterwards
Give out books via your mailing list
- You could run regular book giveaways via your mailing-list where people can sign up to receive a book. You could then either deliver them the books you’ve received in bulk, or use our service for us to mail them the book directly. (estimate: 2-5 hours)
- You can offer a free book in return for signing people onto your mailing list at your activities’ fair
- We recommend you offer a selection of different books (not just one), only give them to people who show interest, and combine the book give-aways with mailing list sign-ups and other activities/offerings.
If you are interested in signing up your group for this service, we’d love to talk to you and chat about the details in more depth. Please start by filling out this expression of interest form.