(Edits: shortened the text on the poster according to AllAmericanBreakfast's recommendations, and added an editable link.)

I made a thing!

I recently finished reading the Scout Mindset by Julia Galef, and I particularly loved the section on thought experiments that can help wrestle you out of the soldier mindset. I remember thinking, "man, I wish I had a poster with all these thought experiments, so I could put it above my desk and really hone those skills." So, I decided to go on Canva and whip something up (keep in mind, I have absolutely no graphic design background, so if someone wants to remake this and make it look better, that would be great!)

If anyone has any constructive criticism, feel free to let me know. Otherwise, you can order a print using this Canva link: https://www.canva.com/design/DAFO1-Z1LEE/KdyOWmWGZw14QN8h6Xiujg/edit?utm_content=DAFO1-Z1LEE&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link2&utm_source=sharebutton 

Comments8
Sorted by Click to highlight new comments since: Today at 12:15 AM

I think this is great. I'd just try to cut the text in half. Here's my attempt:

Double Standard Test:

Do you let your own side's bad behavior slide, or hold everyone to the same standard?

Selective Skeptic Test

Do you question your own side's beliefs as much as you criticize the opposition?

Status Quo Bias Test

If the status quo you're defending was a weird fringe view, would you still fight for it?

Ideological Turing Test

Do you understand your opponent's argument so well that you could pass as one of them?

Conformity Test

If your allies suddenly changed their mind, would that alone make you change your mind?

Outsider Test

If a wise stranger was standing in your shoes, what decisions would they make on your behalf?

I am releasing the text in this comment into the public domain (CC0 license) - completely unrestricted use.

Thanks for the recommendations! I think it looks better now, less busy.

It might be worth crossposting this to LessWrong.

Could you share an editable link?

Sure thing, I changed the settings to anyone with a link can edit.

a tiny font attribution I think would be helpful, like

Inspired by "The Scout Mindset "by Julia Galler

so people can find the book on the interwebs.

maybe a short url pointing to the poster (on Canva) can also be in your interest, don't know enough about Canva, though.

I love this! Thanks for sharing :) 

Thank you! Hope you enjoy.

Curated and popular this week
Relevant opportunities