Hello and welcome to our newsletter!
A few weeks ago the Giving What We Can team attended the Effective Altruism Global conference in London, and we were so thrilled to meet with many of our members in person. We also recently interviewed some exciting guests about effective giving, so stay tuned for the release of those videos through our YouTube channel.
If you didn’t get the chance to connect with us but would like to share your effective giving story, please click this link.
Our team also held a week-long workshop, where amongst other things, we discussed redesigning and improving our website so we can help more people learn to give effectively and provide better resources for our community members like you! We're excited to get building and share the results with you soon.
In the meantime, meet our team below!
Until next time, keep doing good!
-Julian Hazell & the rest of the Giving What We Can team.
Thank you for your continued commitment and advocacy, Michael!
Ways you can support us!
- Reviewing our work: please contact our researcher Michael Townsend if you are interested in this.
- Joining our team (we're hiring!): we are currently seeking expressions of interest for a senior researcher and executive assistant, and welcome any general expressions of interest.
Attend An Event
This month we are focusing on Effective Altruism (EA) around the world. We are joined by group leaders from a range of countries and cultures to help us shape a discussion around global EA communities - what are some specific challenges faced in different locations and cultures, or things that might be shared experiences between us all. Lets celebrate the diversity within EA and discuss ways that we can further promote a welcoming atmosphere in our community! Come along to hear a broad range of perspectives and to share your own insights with us.
May Meetup (Americas/Oceania)
May Meetup (Europe/Asia)
- May 8: 09:30 UTC (London: Sun 10:30 am, Mumbai: Sun 3:00 pm, Singapore: Sun 5:30 pm)
- RSVP via facebook
Our open forum is an event where you can come along with questions about effective giving or just come along to meet others interested in effective giving. Alternates between different timezones each month.
May Open Forum (Europe/Americas)
- May 19: 19:00 UTC (London: 8:00 pm, New York 3:00 pm, San Francisco 12:00pm)
- RSVP via facebook
News & Updates - Julian
Effective altruism community
- My experience with imposter syndrome — and how to (partly) overcome it - Luisa Rodriguez, 80,000 Hours.
- Longtermist EA needs more Phase 2 work - Owen Cotton-Barratt, EA Forum.
- Mid-career people: strongly consider switching to EA work - Ben Snodin, EA Forum.
- Sam Bankman-Fried on taking a high-risk approach to crypto and doing good - 80,000 Hours.
- Release of Existential Risk Research database - Rumtin Sepasspour, EA Forum.
Evaluators, grantmakers and incubators
- GiveWell published a blog post about a major update to its views on the promisingness of water treatment as a possible area for funding.
- GiveWell's CEO, Elie Hassenfeld, and its managing director, Buddy Shah, were interviewed on the Clearer Thinking and Insult My Intelligence podcasts, respectively.
- GiveWell is also still looking for excellent candidates for its open Senior Researcher, Senior Research Associate, Senior Program Associate, and Content Editor positions.
- Our thinking on the importance of organizational culture - Animal Charity Evaluators.
- Animal Charity Evaluators is seeking a General Researcher to join its team.
- Charity Entrepreneurship is looking for 3 new team members: Research Analyst, Foundation Program Lead, Recruitment & Outreach Manager.
- Happier Lives Institute is hiring for a Senior Researcher, a Grants Strategist, and an Operations Manager.
- Gene editing could upend the future of factory farming — for better or worse - Kenny Torrella, Vox.
- Forecasts estimate limited cultured meat production through 2050 — Rethink Priorities - Neil Dullaghan, Rethink Priorities.
- Agriculture is at a climate crossroads. Alternative proteins are a global solution - Madeline Cohen, Sheila Voss, and Shira Fischer, The Good Food Institute.
- Planting Seeds: The Impact Of Diet & Different Animal Advocacy Tactics - Andrea Polanco, Faunalytics.
Global health and development
- The neglected climate change solution - Esnatt Gondwe-Matekesa, GiveDirectly.
- Happiness for the whole family: An update to our previous analysis to incorporate household spillover effects for cash transfers and psychotherapy - Joel McGuire and Samuel Dupret, Happier Lives Institute.
- Snakebites kill 100,000 people every year, here's what you should know - MathiasKB, EA Forum.
- They warned about pandemics before Covid-19. Now they have a $100 billion plan to stop the next one - Dylan Matthews, Vox.
- Forecasting Nuclear Risk and why EA should fund scalable non-profits - Peter Wildeford, Rethink Priorities.
- "Long-Termism" vs. "Existential Risk" - Scott Alexander, EA Forum.
You can now support Giving What We Can’s operations using EA Funds
This funding helps us to inspire donations to high impact charities
- Review our giving recommendations.
- Report your donations with your pledge dashboard.
- Share our ideas to help grow our community and multiply your impact.
- Join other members in the Giving What We Can Community Facebook group.
- Find more ways to get involved with Giving What We Can and effective altruism.
- Discuss effective giving and effective altruism on the EA Forum.