July 9, 2022 is International Skinny Dip Day.
Join us (skinnydipday.org) as we
- EXPERIENCE and grow our own body positivity and self/other acceptance.
- CURE women who have had their bodies injured and shamed (via Fistula Foundation).
...is widely regarded as one of the most effective charities in the world.
- Recommended by The Life You Can Save.
- And almost making the Give Well elite rankings?: "We think that Fistula Foundation may be in the range of cost-effectiveness of our current top charities. However, this estimate is highly uncertain for a number of reasons (December 2021)."
...is an established (yet scattered / underutilized) concept:
- The Sydney Skinny raised over $70,000 AUD for their most recent 2019 event.
- Strip and Dip raised €508,000 at their most recent event.
- The BBC reported on this 6th annual skinny dip fundraiser in England.
- The Skinny Dip fundraising concept is similar to Polar Plunge, which is even more established. This one, for example, brought in $2.3 million.
🌊 Dippin’ — On a Mission 🌊
We are growing — and we hope you will ride the wave with us?
2019: $871 raised across 3 locations
2021: $5275 raised across 8 locations (6x increase)
2022: 14 locations (and counting) signed up so far.
- Are publicity stunt style events (which are not explicitly linked to EA; and which are not overly dangerous etc) an effective method at highlighting effective giving, and EA in general?
- Is Fistula Foundation a good "gateway drug" to effective giving, and EA in general?
- pulls at heart strings
- easy to understand quickly
- Fistula Foundation clearly CURES and EMPOWERS specific people for every x amount of money you raise for them. And builds up local health infrastructure.
- In contrast to, for example, GiveWell's first listed charity, Malaria Consortium, which gives chemo drugs to children in order to prevent some of them from dying in the future from a disease not many in the developed world are even familiar with. (I'm sure it's all well and good; however many questions arise from the average non-EA and veteran EA alike.)
3. Will you skinny dip (at an event or on your own) and/or donate to support the project? 🌊 😊 🌊