Ozy Brennan is a long-time participant in effective altruism who has a blog called Thing of Things. (It was formerly a WordPress blog but Ozy began blogging on Substack in 2021.) I've always appreciated posts about effective altruism from Things of Things because of Ozy's relatively unique perspective having:
- lived in conservative areas in the United States but also more liberal places like the San Francisco Bay Area.
- been someone in the rationality community and social justice movements in addition to effective altruism.
- worked professionally as a researcher on wild animal welfare for 6 years but has also followed literature in development economics and long-termism as well.
This understanding of different worldviews both within and outside of EA has lent itself to Ozy presenting different parts of EA to a broad cross-section of readers, and to present the priorities of other worldviews to the EA community in more legible ways. Here is a sample of some of Ozy's posts about EA on Thing of Things:
- The Best Product of the EA Movement Is the EA Movement:
Cause X, the hinge of history , and empiricism
- Five Books Influential On How I Think About Global Poverty:
Creating Capabilities, Seeing Like a State, The White Man's Burden, Poor Economics, and Why Nations Fail
- Career Advice for the Everyday Effective Altruist:
Some ideas for normal people
- EA Dedicates:
A relevant distinction for effective altruists
- What Is It Like For Animals To Suffer
Like us, probably
Be sure to check it out!