- 1 kg of plastic is emitted to the ocean per capita per year.
- 0.0002 seabirds / marine mammals are killed by marine plastic pollution per capita per year.
- 200 wild fish are caught per capita per year.
- The catch of wild fish is 1 M times as large as the number of seabirds / marine mammals killed by marine plastic pollution.
The data and calculations are presented below.
- Plastic emitted to the ocean in 2010 (PEO): 8 Mt.
- World population in 2010 (WP): 6.92 G.
- Deaths of seabirds caused by plastic debris (DS): > 1 M/year.
- Deaths of marine mammals caused by plastic debris (DMM): > 100k/year.
- Catch of wild fish (WFL to WFH): 0.97 T/year to 2.7 T/year.
- Plastic emitted to the ocean per capita in 2010 (PEOpC): PEO / WP = 8 Gkg / 6.92 G = 1.16 kg.
- Plastic emitted to the ocean to cause one death of a seabird or marine mammal (PEOpD): < PEO / (DS + DMM) = 8 Mt / (1 M + 100 k) = 7.27 t.
- Seabirds / Marine mammals killed by per capita plastic marine pollution in 2010 (DpC): > PEOpC / PEOpD = 1.16 / 7.27 k = 159 u.
- Wild fish caught per year (WF): (WFL * WFH)^0.5 = (0.97 * 2.7)^0.5 T = 1.62 T.
- Catch of wild fish per capita per year (WFpC): WF / WP = 1.62 T / 6.92 G = 234.
- Ratio between the catch of wild fish and the number of seabirds / marine mammals killed by marine plastic pollution: WFpC / DpC = 234 / 159 u = 1 M.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.