I'm excited to announce that the EA Forum now has footnote support in our default rich text editor.
You can add footnotes in two ways:
1. Using the tooltip menu when text is selected, (edit: now present in the block menu as well, on the left side of the editor,) under the
2. Using markdown footnote syntax. To use this:
- Type [^n], where n is the index of the footnote to be inserted.
- To insert a new footnote, use n = # of existing footnotes + 1. To reference an existing footnote, use n = the index of the footnote in question.
Both of these create a footnote reference at the current position, which looks like this , while also inserting a corresponding footnote at the bottom of the page (unless referencing an existing footnote).
A few points:
- Footnotes are automatically kept in order by their first reference.
- Deleting a footnote removes all of its references and renumbers subsequent footnotes.
- Hovering over a footnote reference displays the content of the footnote in a tooltip. This functionality is backward-compatible with preexisting footnotes created using the markdown editor.
We hope you enjoy them! If you run into any issues, feel free to let us know in the comments of this post.
Thanks, and happy new year!
A tradeoff of this approach is that footnotes might reorder without you noticing in the midst of writing a post, for instance when a footnote gets inserted out of order or deleted. If you're adding an additional reference for an existing footnote, it's probably a good idea to check that it still has the index you expect.