All posts

Saturday, 18 May 2024
Sat, 18 May 2024

Personal Blogposts

Quick takes

I just looked at [ANONYMOUS PERSON]'s donations. The amount that this person has donated in their life is more than double the amount that I have ever earned in my life. This person appears to be roughly the same age as I am (we graduated from college ± one year of each other). Oof. It makes me wish that I had taken steps to become a software developer back when I was 15 or 18 or 22. Oh, well. As they say, comparison is the thief of joy. I'll try to focus on doing the best I can with the hand I'm dealt.
Most possible goals for AI systems are concerned with process as well as outcomes. People talking about possible AI goals sometimes seem to assume something like "most goals are basically about outcomes, not how you get there". I'm not entirely sure where this idea comes from, and I think it's wrong. The space of goals which are allowed to be concerned with process is much higher-dimensional than the space of goals which are just about outcomes, so I'd expect that on most reasonable sense of "most" process can have a look-in. What's the interaction with instrumental convergence? (I'm asking because vibe-wise it seems like instrumental convergence is associated with an assumption that goals won't be concerned with process.) * Process-concerned goals could undermine instrumental convergence (since some process-concerned goals could be fundamentally opposed to some of the things that would otherwise get converged-to), but many process-concerned goals won't * Since instrumental convergence is basically about power-seeking, there's an evolutionary argument that you should expect the systems which end up with most power to have the power-seeking behaviours * I actually think there are a couple of ways for this argument to fail: 1. If at some point you get a singleton, there's now no evolutionary pressure on its goals (beyond some minimum required to stay a singleton) 2. A social environment can punish power-seeking, so that power-seeking behaviour is not the most effective way to arrive at power * (There are some complications to this I won't get into here) * But even if it doesn't fail, it pushes towards things which have Omuhundro's basic AI drives (and so pushes away from process-concerned goals which could preclude those), but it doesn't push all the way to purely outcome-concerned goals In general I strongly expect humans to try to instil goals that are concerned with process as well as outcomes. Even if that goes wrong, I mostly expect them to end up something which has incorrect preferences about process, not something that doesn't care about process. How could you get to purely outcome-concerned goals? I basically think this should be expected just if someone makes a deliberate choice to aim for that (though that might be possible via self-modification; the set of goals that would choose to self-modify to be purely outcome-concerned may be significantly bigger than the set of purely outcome-concerned goals). Overall I think purely outcome-concerned goals (or almost purely outcome-concerned goals) are a concern, and worth further consideration, but I really don't think they should be treated as a default.
Are there currently any safety-conscious people on the OpenAI Board?
In the past few weeks, I spoke with several people interested in EA and wondered: What do others recommend in this situation in terms of media to consume first (books, blog posts, podcasts)? Isn't it time we had a comprehensive guide on which introductory EA books or media to recommend to different people, backed by data? Such a resource could consider factors like background, interests, and learning preferences, ensuring the most impactful material is suggested for each individual. Wouldn’t this tailored approach make promoting EA among friends and acquaintances more effective and engaging?
Swapcard tips: 1. The mobile browser is more reliable than the app You can use Firefox/Safari/Chrome etc. on your phone, go to swapcard.com and use that instead of downloading the Swapcard app from your app store. As far as I know, the only thing the app has that the mobile site does not, is the QR code that you need when signing in when you first get to the venue and pick up your badge 2. Only what you put in the 'Biography' section in the 'About Me' section of your profile is searchable when searching in Swapcard The other fields, like 'How can I help others' and 'How can others help me' appear when you view someone's profile, but will not be used when searching using Swapcard search. This is another reason to use the Swapcard Attendee Google sheet that is linked-to in Swapcard to search 3. You can use a (local!) LLM to find people to connect with People might not want their data uploaded to a commercial large language model, but if you can run an open-source LLM locally, you can upload the Attendee Google sheet and use it to help you find useful contacts