For many, entrepreneurship could be the most impactful career path; both Probably Good and 80,000 Hours recommend it as one of their top paths. But knowing if you are a good fit and deciding which particular route to take can be challenging. Maybe you are thinking about starting a for-profit company, a social enterprise or a charity. Perhaps you want to work at a startup to gain valuable experience. Perhaps you have your own idea, or want to start one of ours. There have never been more opportunities.
Each year at Charity Entrepreneurship; we speak with several hundred entrepreneurs, consultants, aspiring founders and potential staff of startups. Often we coach them to gain clarity about their personal fit, the impact they could have, and their options. Some join our incubation program and start new ventures, some we introduce to highly relevant people in our network and some we connect to job opportunities in the community.
So if you’re interested in working in or building a startup, and you want to do as much good as you can, we’d love to help you.
How we help
If you are just starting out, changing careers, have significant experience or just have questions or uncertainties; we are here to help. With one to one zoom coaching we will help you think it through. We can explore your fit for different options, discuss their potential relative impact, and identify how you might get more information in order to make the best possible decision for you. We may suggest additional paths or ideas, and address your most important unknowns. Where possible we’ll work with you to identify concrete next steps.
How it works
1. Fill out our Application Form.
2. We'll try to speak to ~three-five applicants a week and keep you informed if we can't offer you assistance. If we think we can help, we’ll send you a link to book your call and ask for some additional details to get you thinking. You can even take our quiz here to assess how good a fit you’d be for founding a charity.
3. We’ll connect you with a suitable coach from the CE team for a zoom call (typically 30 mins, with the potential for follow up). You’ll talk through your career and clarify your next steps.
We’re most helpful for people who:
- Want to do good with their careers and are significantly interested in Effective Altruism, and entrepreneurship or senior positions at existing organizations
- Have the drive to start something or want to join an early-stage or growing organization, and help steer its progress
- Are aware of the kinds of organizations we help launch (i.e. those that aim to be at least five times as cost-effective as the Against Malaria Foundation)
What is outside of our scope:
- General EA career advising
- Cause-specific coaching not related to entrepreneurship
Even if you are not 100% sure if you should apply, we recommend that you do. It’s a short form that may alone help you clarify your thoughts.