Existential risk 2
Research 2
Cause prioritization 2
Opinion 2
Animal welfare 1
Sentience 1
More

Quick takes

GiveWell and Open Philanthropy just made a $1.5M grant to Malengo! Congratulations to @Johannes Haushofer and the whole team, this seems such a promising intervention from a wide variety of views
I'm going to make a quick take thread of EA-relevant software projects I could work on. Agree / disagree vote if you think I should/ should not do some particular project.
I recently discovered the idea of driving all blames into oneself, which immediately resonated with me. It is relatively hardcore; the kind of thing that would turn David Goggins into a Buddhist. Gemini did a good job of summarising it: This quote by Pema Chödron, a renowned Buddhist teacher, represents a core principle in some Buddhist traditions, particularly within Tibetan Buddhism. It's called "taking full responsibility" or "taking self-blame" and can be a bit challenging to understand at first. Here's a breakdown: What it Doesn't Mean: * Self-Flagellation: This practice isn't about beating yourself up or dwelling on guilt. * Ignoring External Factors: It doesn't deny the role of external circumstances in a situation. What it Does Mean: * Owning Your Reaction: It's about acknowledging how a situation makes you feel and taking responsibility for your own emotional response. * Shifting Focus: Instead of blaming others or dwelling on what you can't control, you direct your attention to your own thoughts and reactions. * Breaking Negative Cycles: By understanding your own reactions, you can break free from negative thought patterns and choose a more skillful response. Analogy: Imagine a pebble thrown into a still pond. The pebble represents the external situation, and the ripples represent your emotional response. While you can't control the pebble (the external situation), you can control the ripples (your reaction). Benefits: * Reduced Suffering: By taking responsibility for your own reactions, you become less dependent on external circumstances for your happiness. * Increased Self-Awareness: It helps you understand your triggers and cultivate a more mindful response to situations. * Greater Personal Growth: By taking responsibility, you empower yourself to learn and grow from experiences. Here are some additional points to consider: * This practice doesn't mean excusing bad behavior. You can still hold others accountable while taking responsibility for your own reactions. * It's a gradual process. Be patient with yourself as you learn to practice this approach.

Topic Page Edits and Discussion