We, Rikaela Gabriel and JP Apellido are third-year psychology students from the Ateneo de Manila University. We are currently volunteering for EA Philippines’ Cause Prioritization and Career Advice Research, which aims to find out what are the best causes Filipinos can contribute to and what career paths they can take to help in these causes.
As part of this project, we wanted to write a research paper about the scale and neglectedness of mental health in the Philippines. This work was supervised by Brian Tan, co-founder of EA Philippines. Brian encouraged JP and I (Rika) to do this work because mental health is one of the top cause areas that Charity Entrepreneurship identified for their charity ideas in 2020, and their research into this topic made us think that this could be an impactful cause to work on locally for Filipinos.
Our research had three main objectives:
- Identify the different disorders and injuries associated with mental health in the Philippines
- Find out the DALY and prevalence burden of mental health disorders and self-harm cases (which we shortened as MHDSCs) in the Philippines
- Assess the neglectedness of MHDSCs in the Philippines in terms of budget allocation, available workforce, and available services and facilities that cater to mental health.
The larger goal of this research is to provide information to our target audience (i.e., EAs in the Philippines, or impact-minded Filipinos more generally) with data on if mental health is a big and neglected cause to work on locally and to help inform them on which disorders to focus on in order to improve mental health in the Philippines.
Given this, we would like to ask a few people in the EA community who have interest or experience in the field of mental health to give feedback on the content of our paper. More specifically, we’d like your thoughts on the following questions:
- What are your general thoughts on the paper? What did we do well on it?
- What could we improve about it?
- What could we be missing in this paper or something that we haven’t considered?
- What do you think we should do further research or work on to figure out what Filipinos can do to best improve mental health locally?
You may view our paper here on Google Docs. We hope you could share your thoughts on its content through the comments section of this post, or by adding comments on the Google document itself.