This is my first-ever AMA and I'm excited about it -- thanks to Aaron for the push! I will be answering questions here the afternoon of Monday, March 8 between 1-3pm East Coast time.
Here's some information about me and my work:
- Currently, I'm an independent consultant offering specialized strategy and research services to foundations, government agencies, large NGOs, and other institutions. Some of my clients have included the Walton Family Foundation, Omidyar Network, ACLU, International Rescue Committee, and the State of Victoria in Australia.
- I believe high-quality decision-making is critically neglected relative to its importance in most professional settings, which is one reason I'm helping to develop improving institutional decision-making as an EA cause area.
- I write a lot about social sector decision-making, including this feature in the spring 2020 issue of Stanford Social Innovation Review, my articles on Medium, and a quarterly-ish newsletter I publish on this topic.
- I also ran or co-ran two giving circles last year, one focused on rapid global coronavirus response and the other on electoral politics in the US. I really enjoyed both of these projects!
- I'm about two decades into my career. I started out as a composer and arts administrator and, needless to say, things have changed a lot.
I am happy to answer questions about any of the above, or anything else that's on your mind! I may not get to everything, especially if there are a lot of questions, but I'll try my best.
(Update: I've now come to the end of the time I budgeted, but will continue monitoring this discussion and will try for one or two follow-ups this week if I can!)