We're sharing some posts from the last week (16-22 February), which I shared in the most recent Digest.
The Digest is a weekly email I send to around 8,000 subscribers. You can look at some recent editions or subscribe here.
(This post is an experiment. Let us know what you think!)
- Why should ethical anti-realists do ethics? and Seeing more whole (Joe Carlsmith, 33 min, 31 min) (see also: "my dissertation")
- EU Food Agency Recommends Banning Cages (Ben West, 1 min)
- What to think when a language model tells you it's sentient (rgb, 7 min)
- What AI companies can do today to help with the most important century (Holden Karnofksy, 13 min)
- Deontic Fictionalism (Richard Y Chappell, 4 min)
- What is it like doing AI safety work? (Kat Woods, peterbarnett, 11 min)
- AI alignment researchers don't (seem to) stack (So8res, 3 min)
- Research writeups
- Immigration reform: a shallow cause exploration (Joel McGuire, Samuel Dupret, 43 min)
- Data on how much solutions differ in effectiveness (Benjamin Todd, 4 min)
- There are no coherence theorems (EJT, 23 min)
- Tell people why they should donate, not that they are morally obligated to (benleo, PhilippSchoenegger, 5 min)
Community & practical:
- Bad Actors Are Not the Main Issue in EA Governance (Grayden, 4 min)
- Getting organizational value from EA conferences, featuring Charity Entrepreneurship’s experience (Amy Labenz, CE, 5 min)
- EA London Hackathon Retrospective (Jonny Spicer, Sam Watts, 4 min)
- People Will Sometimes Just Lie About You (Aella, 21 min)
- On Loyalty (Nathan Young, 18 min)
- Announcing the Launch of the Insect Institute (Dustin Crummett)
- Opportunities & applications
- AI Safety Info Distillation Fellowship (robertskmiles)
- Join a new slack for animal advocacy (SofiaBalderson, Cameron.K)
- Effective Thesis is looking for a new Executive Director (Apply by 22 March) (Effective Thesis)
- News related to Effective Ventures Foundation
- Transitioning to an advisory role (Max Dalton)
- A statement and an apology (Owen Cotton-Barratt)
- EV UK board statement on Owen's resignation (EV UK Board)
- Forecasting and epistemics
Classic Forum post:
- Reality is often underpowered (Gregory Lewis)
Is there a collected list of classic forum posts anywhere? I’d like to check it out.
I like this and like that you also signal boost a classic post. Maybe consider boosting non-new posts with new comments, or those that seem particularly relevant to current priorities?
Great thank you!