This list was created as part of the Local Career Advice Network's efforts to map the EA volunteering & project opportunities space. For other annotated lists and bibliograhies, see here.
Please make suggestions in the google doc, and link to the article, author’s name or username, and a one line summary. You can also add comments to existing resoruces.
General & Guides
A List of Things for People To Do by Chris Leong. This provides a range of suggestions, from individual actions (i.e. specific versions of Earning to Give) to starting projects.
A list of Small Exploration Projects by Richard Batty linked (comment it came from here). Contains links to guides and examples for a number of direct work projects.
A guide on research projects (2020) by Edo Arad from EA Israel. This has some fairly specific suggestions with time estimates.
Notes on getting involved with small EA projects by Aaron Gertler. He also lists a few possible projects
- List of possible EA meta-charities and projects by Saulius, with specific sections for Careers and Policy project recommendations.
- Call for an EA Wiki (2019), comment on academic wiki-related research, open discussion on EA Wiki
- What will 80,000 Hours provide (and not provide) within the effective altruism community? and related: What career advice gaps are you trying to fill? - EA Forum (both 2020)
- Gaps in 80K and possible projects (2018) comment by Jamie Harris
- EA Career Ideas (2014) by Ben Kuhn. A list of non-80K career ideas with skills that could be useful. Fairly off-the-cuff.
- Task Y: Representing EA in your Field (2019) by Toon Alfrink
- Suggestion: EAs should post more summaries and collections (2020) by Michael Aird
- Central directory of open research questions & research-related projects (2020) by Michael Aird
- What are some software development needs in EA causes? (2020) question by evelynciara
- EA Tech Initiatives' project list and resources (ongoing)
Misc. Project lists
- EA Summit brainstormed list (2018)
- Projects I’d like to see (2017) by Will MacAskill This post was created when EA grants was first launched to encourage people to apply for funding.
- Concrete project lists (2017) by Richard Batty.
- Guide to Effective Volunteering (2018) by Khorton
- Finding volunteering opportunities
- EA Volunteering Facebook group
- List of Remote Volunteering Opportunities in Effective Altruism (2018) by Evan Gaensbauer
LCAN Annotated Lists
Annotated List of Project Ideas & Volunteering Resources
Thanks for compiling this - things like this seem plausibly really valuable, and I'm glad to see increasing numbers of this kind of thing! I've directed a few people to this post at various times :)
Just a heads up that I think the "Annotated List of EA Careers Advice" link is broken, and the link should instead be this.
Thanks Michael - glad you found it useful! And thanks for point out the broken link, I've fixed it! :)
Couldn't comment on the doc, so here are a few others I found:
I can't comment on the Google Doc version of this post. Can you add Impact CoLabs?