Hide table of contents

Welcome! Use this thread to introduce yourself or ask questions about anything that confuses you. 

Get started on the EA Forum

The "Guide to norms on the Forum" shares more about the kind of discussions we'd like to see on the Forum, and when the moderation team intervenes. For resources that can help you learn about effective altruism, check this list of links

1. Introduce yourself

If you'd like, share how you became interested in effective altruism, what causes you work on and prioritize, and other fun facts about yourself, in the comments below (For inspiration, you can see the last open thread here). You can also add this information to your Forum bio to help other Forum users get to know you. 

An open door in a geometric editorial style with bold autumnal colors. The door should be composed of various geometric shapes like triangles, squares, and circles, arranged in an abstract and artistic manner. The color palette should include deep oranges, reds, yellows, and browns to capture the essence of autumn. The background should be clean and simple to make the open door the focal point of the image.

2. Ask questions (and answer others' questions)

If anything about the Forum, or effective altruism in general, confuses you, ask your questions in the comments below. You can also answer other people's questions or discuss the answers. (You might be interested in sharing your question as its own post, if it's on a more complicated or substantial topic.) 

Resources like the EA Handbook and the Topics wiki might be helpful for exploring topics related to effective altruism — see more here

A geometric editorial style question mark image with bold autumnal colors. The question mark should be composed of various geometric shapes like triangles, squares, and circles, arranged in an abstract and artistic manner. The color palette should include deep oranges, reds, yellows, and browns to capture the essence of autumn. The background should be clean and simple to make the question mark the focal point of the image.

3. Explore and join the conversation

You can check the resources below, start browsing posts on the Frontpage, or explore the "Best of the EA Forum."

You can also start writing! For exploratory or quick thoughts, consider sharing a "Quick take" (or write a post for longer or more fleshed out content). 

If you're unsure whether your first post is suitable for the Forum (or whether it should be a question, quick take, etc...) message me and I'll look it over. 

A conversation depicted with a couple of speech bubbles in a geometric editorial style with bold autumnal colors. The speech bubbles should be composed of various geometric shapes like triangles, squares, and circles, arranged in an abstract and artistic manner. The color palette should include deep oranges, reds, yellows, and browns to capture the essence of autumn. The background should be clean and simple to make the speech bubbles the focal point of the image.
  • How to use the Forum outlines the Forum's rules, answers frequently asked questions, etc. 
  • The EA Forum Digest is a weekly email that shares some of the Forum team's favourite Forum posts of the week.
  • The EA Newsletter is a monthly newsletter that compiles EA-related news from around the world and highlights some opportunities to get involved. 

Reactions

More posts like this

Comments8
Sorted by Click to highlight new comments since:

Hi everyone! My name is Ulf Graf. I am a 33 year old lecturer in public health at Halmstad University, Sweden. My main interest now is "Effective Altruism Systemic Change", so if anyone else is interested, please contact me! I think that green basic income (basic income funded by green taxation) has most potential for systemic change.

So now I am looking more into taxes that can change the world (at least a little). Because with taxes, it may be possible to tackle poverty, climate change, animal suffering, health problems and premature death and also fund basic income. Environmental taxes like carbon taxes, energy taxes, deforestation taxes, meat taxes, aviation fuel taxes, shipping-fuel taxes, green land value tax and the polluter pays principle may be helpful in that case. Charity Entrepreneurship has suggested charities that try to reduce alcohol, tobacco and sodium consumption. So health taxes are also interesting because alcohol, tobacco, unhealthy food and air pollution accounts for 29,4 million deaths and 819 million DALY annually.

I became interested in effective altruism because I had made my bachelor's thesis about buddhist views of altruism and was looking for articles about altruism. In 2019, I clicked on the Happier Lives Institute's research agenda and thought it was really interesting. So I replied to everything in that agenda in an email and said that I wanted to volunteer there. Since then I jave been helping out there in periods. I also have been a board member of the Swedish Netwok for Global Mental Health. I am also trying to start a research project that is "dance on prescription", since I have been dancing a lot. But I am interested in global health, mental health, happiness, climate change, public health and other things as well.

Fun fact 1: I was at a hilarious job interview once. A 65-year-old professor and her 45-year-old secretary interviewed me for a job as a research assistant.
"What do you do on your leisure time?" the professor asked.
"I am doing pole dancing," I said because I was going on a pole fitness course.
"I don't know what it is. Can you please explain that for me?"
"Well..."
"It is when you are dancing around a pole," the secretary said and tried to change topic for the conversation.
"That sounds great! My husband never wants to dance with me so I should put up a pole in my bedroom so we can dance."
She was thinking pole dancing was dancing around a small maypole. When the interview was over, the secretary told her what pole dancing was and they laughed so they bursted out in tears. I got the job.

Fun fact 2: Ulf means wolf and Graf means grave in old norse. It may sound cool but it is a dorky name and only popular among people who are over 80-years-old.

References:
Global Burden of Disease Collaborators & Ärnlöv, J. (2020). Global burden of 87 risk factors in 204 countries and territories, 1990–2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019. The Lancet396(10258), 1223-1249.

Murray, C. J. (2019). Health effects of dietary risks in 195 countries, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study. Lancet393(10184), 1958-72.

Sumaila, U. R., Wabnitz, C. C., Teh, L. S., Teh, L. C., Lam, V. W., Sumaila, H., ... & Polasky, S. (2024). Utilizing basic income to create a sustainable, poverty-free tomorrow. Cell Reports Sustainability.

All the best,
Ulf Graf

Hi Ulf! Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for the anecdote :) If you have any questions about using the Forum/ customising it to suit your interests, feel free to message me (click on my profile and click message).
Cheers, 
Toby (Content Manager for the EA Forum)

Thank you very much, Toby! I think everything is clear, but thanks for the opportunity! It is very kind of you to welcome all new people to the forum, I think it is very important. :)

Cheers,
Ulf

Your profile sounds really cool ! Buddhism and altruism might be a good combination.

EA Germany are doing a project on systemic change (they have a slack for that), maybe you could check it ?

Thank you very much CB! It might be a very good combination.

Wow! I would really like to join that Slack! Can you please send me a link? :)

Thank you so much! I have joined now.

Curated and popular this week
Relevant opportunities