Survival and Flourishing Funds just announced their grant recommendations for the first half of 2023! I've visualized the grants by size via treemap, grouping AI safety/governance charities in blue and others in orange:

5Wfcgvj.png (611×615)

Thanks to all the recommenders, and congrats to all the recommendees!

OrganizationAmountReceiving CharityPurpose
AI Objectives Institute$492,000The Goodly InstituteGeneral Support of AI Objectives Institute
Alignment Research Center (Evals Team)$3,247,000Alignment Research CenterGeneral Support of Alignment Research Center (Evals Team)
Alliance to Feed the Earth in Disasters (ALLFED)$1,159,000Alliance to Feed the Earth in Disasters (ALLFED)General Support
Arkose$683,000Players Philanthropy FundGeneral Support of Arkose
Basis Research Institute$126,000Basis Research InstituteGeneral Support
BERI-CHAI Collaboration$631,000 ($150,000)†Berkeley Existential Risk InitiativeGeneral Support of BERI-CHAI Collaboration
BERI-CLTC Collaboration$522,000Berkeley Existential Risk InitiativeGeneral Support of BERI-CLTC Collaboration
Center for AI Safety$22,000Center for AI Safety, Inc.General Support
Center for Strategic and International Studies (AI Governance Project)$291,000 ($155,000)†Center for Strategic and International StudiesGeneral Support of Center for Strategic and International Studies (AI Governance Project)
Center on Long-Term Risk$1,327,000Center on Long-Term RiskGeneral Support
Centre for the Governance of AI (GovAI)$116,000Effective Ventures FoundationGeneral Support of Centre for the Governance of AI (GovAI)
Charter Cities Institute$315,000Center for Innovative Governance (d/b/a Charter Cities Institute)General Support
Church Lab Meiosis Team$700,000 ($401,000)†Hansjorg Wyss Institute For Biologically Inspired EngineeringGeneral Support of Church Lab Meiosis Team
FAR AI, Inc.$2,028,000 ($170,000)†FAR AI, Inc.General Support
FAR AI, Inc.$1,063,000 ($380,000)†FAR AI, Inc.General Support of FAR AI, Inc. Labs
fp21$172,000fp21General Support
Holtman Systems Research$269,000AI Safety Support Ltd - Equivalency DeterminationGeneral Support of Holtman Systems Research
Institute for Advanced Consciousness Studies (IACS)$379,000.00 ($75,000)†Institute for Advanced Consciousness Studies (IACS)General Support
Lightcone Infrastructure$1,733,000Center for Applied RationalityGeneral Support of Lightcone Infrastructure
Manifold Markets$1,241,000Manifold for CharityGeneral Support of Manifold Markets
Ought Inc.$358,000Ought Inc.General Support
Project Solve$196,000Effective Ventures FoundationGeneral Support of Project Solve
Redwood Research Group Inc.$1,098,000Redwood Research Group Inc.General Support
Senter for langsiktig politikk/Centre for Long-Term Policy$325,000Effektiv Altruisme NorgeGeneral Support of Senter for langsiktig politikk/Centre for Long-Term Policy
The Collective Intelligence Project$300,000The Collective Intelligence ProjectGeneral Support
The Unjournal$565,000Open Collective FoundationGeneral Support of The Unjournal
Topos Institute$69,000 ($69,000)†Topos InstituteGeneral Support
University of Chicago Existential Risk Laboratory$380,000The University of ChicagoGeneral Support of University of Chicago Existential Risk Laboratory
University of Louisville (Dr. Roman Yampolskiy’s Research Group (Cybersecurity Lab))$274,000 ($115,000)†University of Louisville Foundation, Inc.General Support of University of Louisville (Dr. Roman Yampolskiy’s Research Group (Cybersecurity Lab))

Reactions

More posts like this

Comments2
Sorted by Click to highlight new comments since: Today at 2:50 PM

Wow thi isn't my area but the visual is fantastic - what a great way to display grants, other similar orgs should consider something similar. I would say perhaps an order of magnitude even better than a list ;)

Reminds me of global burden of disease...(all my roads lead to public health haha)

Hmmm, this doesn't seem to include the breakdown by funder (Jaan Tallinn and Future of Life Institute) for each grant. I think I can reverse-engineer the amounts per funder by superimposing this and https://futureoflife.org/grant-program/2023-grants/ + https://jaan.online/philanthropy/donations.html but I'm wondering why the breakdown wasn't included in SFF's grant page?

More from Austin
Curated and popular this week
Relevant opportunities