Introducing a Data Science Consultancy that offers high-quality services to EA organizations priced greatly towards our EA clients' benefit (compared to usual market valuation) or entirely pro bono when necessary as we enjoy doing these things for good.
The post includes a call for projects for EA Orgs and a call for volunteers
General case for service-providing in EA
Specific case for providing data science services in EA
Usually, small organizations don't have resources to hire highly qualified experts in data science. Often, they don't even have enough tasks to justify having a data science position. But there are still projects with high potential impact, requiring data science. We're covering such situation providing top expertise on project basis.
Would this organization be taking talent needed in the Alignment problem?
- There is a large slice of skills in data analysis - such as statistical modeling - which are required for DS consulting, but are not so crucial in AI alignment. And the community clearly has many people with such skills, who don't want or can't get a job on AI alignment.
What have we done so far and by whom?
Some of our projects done so far can be found on our website.
SEADS was started by Severin and two other EAs who volunteered to work on Data Science Projects for EA Orgs like CEA and Fish Welfare Initiative. The torch was passed to Viktor, Georg and Jaime who are working on it now.
Where we are now?
At the moment we are in a exploratory phase trying to test how much good can a consultancy like this do. For the following months we will focus on talking with EA Orgs to try to find solutions to their needs and so help them scale better and faster (See below "Call for Projects"). We will also focus on keeping a database of data savvy EAs to coordinate their work in short term projects in EA Orgs (See below "Call for Volunteers")
Possible directions for the future
Some of the possible directions to consider in the future are:
- Going outside of core-EA. For example, we have a list of Alternative protein companies, which would benefit from data science skills. So we can go into low-price for-profit for impactful companies with particular focus on impact evaluation and nudging these orgs to more impactful path.
- Doing infrastructure projects. If there is not enough demand from EA Orgs one option would be making a call for infrastructure projects, like some tool that would benefit many EAs but has no ownership at the moment
- Raise awareness of EA values within tech/data savvy people (mainly volunteers) [=OUTREACH for EA]
- Gather talented people that could in the future work in long termist projects (like getting people into OpenAI, …) [= HIRING for EA]
- Identify strengths/problems/needs from orgs within the Data for Good movement
- Identify bottlenecks within the Data for Good movement
- Identify gaps within the Data for Good movement
- Establish collaborations between organizations within the Data for Good movement
- Analyze impact of organizations and/or projects from organizations [=topic specialization towards research]
- Organize competitions for Data for Effective Good
- Hiring Agency for people in DS/ML/AI so they can work in impactful institutions
- Mentoring like "sharpest Minds" for EAs
- Doing cost effective analysis to other Organizations inside Data For Good movement like Datakind or Correlaid (see “Cost-benefit analysis for everything” here )
The project got funding of $4k from the Infrastructure fund and the money was invested in the salary of Viktor for a couple of months. We are in process of extending this grant for Viktor while Georg and Jaime will as of now continue to do the job entirely on a volunteer basis.
Our idea at the moment is to have a mixed model. For projects that require many man hours and maintenance we would like to charge a fee. For smaller projects that we can do relatively fast or can outsourced to volunteers (see below Call for Volunteers) there would be no charge.
Call for Projects: How We Can Help You
If you are an EA-Aligned Org and think that we might be able to help you somehow do not hesitate to drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill in THIS FORM. Even if you are not sure how we could help you we can arrange a meeting where you tell us briefly about your org/project and together we come up with projects that could achieve your goals faster/better.
Services we provide:
- Automation: AI is better than humans in many tasks, so we can improve orgs. That could include making Data Pipelines to help EA Orgs break down information silos and easily move and obtain value from their data in the form of insights and analytics.
- Data Analysis: We need evidence, and data analysis gives that. A lot of data is publicly available but it's not structured to make formal decisions
- Improving operations: transparency, control and forecasting. better understand what is going on (analytics), more precisely predict (anticipate / envision) what will happen in the future (forecasting) and communicate transparently the most important information your processes yield to your audiences
- General Data Science services:
- Sentiment Analysis
- Customer Segmentation
- Data Cleaning Projects
- Data Visualization and Dashboards
- A/B testing
- NLP-projects (e.g., text mining and named entity recognition for improving qualitative analysis)
- Geographic Data Machine Learning Algorithms
- Statistical Analyses - e.g. Impact evaluations,
Call for Volunteers: How You Can Help
If you are interested on collaborating in an EA Project for a short period and have some of the skills above mentioned please fill in THIS FORM.
If you are not sure of your skills but still would like to help please fill the form. At the moment we cannot guarantee periodic emails with projects but we will keep your information and will contact you when we think there is a project where you could work on.