- Birds should be housed in cage-free systems
- Avoid all forms of mutilations in broiler breeders
- Avoid the use of cages, feed and water restrictions in broiler breeders
- Limit the growth rate of broilers to a maximum of 50 g/day.
- Substantially reduce the stocking density to meet the behavioural needs of broilers.
My understanding is that the European Commission requested these recommendations as a result of several things, including work by some EA-affiliated animal welfare organizations, and it is now up to them to propose legislation implementing the recommendations.
This Forum post from two years ago describes some of the previous work that got us here. It's kind of cool to look back on the "major looming fight" that post forecasts and see that the fight is, if not won, at least on its way.