Hide table of contents

Forum Wrapped showed you what you upvoted and strong-upvoted in 2022. We also gave you the chance to mark some posts as “most valuable.” 

I’m sharing which posts were marked as “most valuable” by most people, and which posts were most underrated by their karma score (relative to the number of “most valuable” votes). 

Please note that this is a very rough list; relatively few people marked posts as "most valuable," and I imagine that those who did, didn't do it very carefully or comprehensively. And there are various biases in the data (like the fact that we showed the list in order of karma).

Before you continue, consider looking back (if you haven’t done that yet).

You can look at your Forum Wrapped, consider scrolling through high-rated (adjusted) posts from 2022, or explore posts on your favorite topics

(You can still mark posts as “most valuable” — we might revisit these numbers later, and you might find it useful to have a record of this for yourself.)

If you want to explore more content, you could look at What are the most underrated posts & comments of 2022, according to you? (thread), my comment on the Forum Wrapped announcement, curated posts from 2022, and older content like the Results from the First Decade Review and the Forum Digest Classics.

Which posts from 2022 did Forum users think were most valuable?

(Note that we ordered posts in "wrapped" by karma score, meaning higher-karma posts might be artificially over-rated.)

VotesAuthor(s)Title

ASB, ecaConcrete Biosecurity Projects (some of which could be big)

Julia WisePower dynamics between people in EA

Theo HawkingBad Omens in Current Community Building

Scott Alexander"Long-Termism" vs. "Existential Risk"

George RosenfeldFree-spending EA might be a big problem for optics and epistemics

Haydn BelfieldAre you really in a race? The Cautionary Tales of Szilárd and Ellsberg

Holden KarnofskyEA is about maximization, and maximization is perilous

Simon MStrongMinds should not be a top-rated charity (yet)

Fods12The FTX crisis highlights a deeper cultural problem within EA - we don't sufficiently value good governance

MathiasKBSnakebites kill 100,000 people every year, here's what you should know

William MacAskillEA and the current funding situation

LinchSome unfun lessons I learned as a junior grantmaker

Will Bradshaw, Mike McLaren, Anjali GopalAnnouncing the Nucleic Acid Observatory project for early detection of catastrophic biothreats

Thomas KwaEffectiveness is a Conjunction of Multipliers

Karolina Sarek, JoeyPresenting: 2022 Incubated Charities (Charity Entrepreneurship)

Nuño SempereA Critical Review of Open Philanthropy’s Bet On Criminal Justice Reform

Holden KarnofskyMy takes on the FTX situation will (mostly) be cold, not hot

Peter McLaughlinGetting on a different train: can Effective Altruism avoid collapsing into absurdity?

Katja GraceLet’s think about slowing down AI

Holden KarnofskyImportant, actionable research questions for the most important century

Holden KarnofskySome comments on recent FTX-related events

Maya DI’m a 22-year-old woman involved in Effective Altruism. I’m sad, disappointed, and scared.

AjeyaWithout specific countermeasures, the easiest path to transformative AI likely leads to AI takeover

Which were most underrated by Forum karma?

A quick note on the methodology is in the footnote.[1]

VotesAuthorTitle

Corentin BiteauThe great energy descent (short version) - An important thing EA might have missed

James OzdenWhat you prioritise is mostly moral intuition

Fabio Kuhn, Giving What We Can, Sarah BakaThe 2022 Giving What We Can Donor Lottery is now open

Jamie HarrisThe History of AI Rights Research

Max Dalton, Angelina Li, Oscar HowieCEA's work in 2022

ElizabethEpistemic Legibility

GavinMilan Griffes on EA blindspots

Holden KarnofskyIdeal governance (for companies, countries and more)

Holden KarnofskyAI Safety Seems Hard to Measure

Lynette ByeHave You Ever Doubted Whether You're Good Enough To Pursue Your Career?

Pablo, matthew.vandermerweFuture Matters #6: FTX collapse, value lock-in, and counterarguments to AI x-risk

Holden KarnofskyAI strategy nearcasting

ElizabethButterfly Ideas

Hamish Hobbs, jbs, Allan DafoeDifferential technology development: preprint on the concept

Derek ShillerThe importance of getting digital consciousness right

Holden KarnofskyNonprofit Boards are Weird

Tom BarnesAir Pollution: Founders Pledge Cause Report

Vaidehi Agarwalla, Alexandra Malikova, ElikaDoing Ops in EA FAQ: before you join (2022)

Holden KarnofskyRacing through a minefield: the AI deployment problem

ColdButtonIssuesGo Republican, Young EA!

levinCommon-sense cases where "hypothetical future people" matter

Janne M. KorhonenSheltering humanity against x-risk: report from the SHELTER weekend

Thanks so much...

...for posting, commenting, upvoting, marking as “most valuable,” giving us feedback, and more! I really appreciate it.

1. ^

I looked at the number of people who had marked something as “most valuable,” and then divided by [karma score]^1.5. All of these were marked as most valuable by at least two people. 

Just dividing by karma didn’t change the list much, and dividing by karma^2 penalized karma too much. I played with a few other ways of modifying the “underrated-ness” metric, but they didn’t seem better.

Comments6
Sorted by Click to highlight new comments since: Today at 8:46 AM

get absolutely dunked on, Will!

In all seriousness, thank you to the many people who contributed with posts and comments in 2022 and a thank you to the forum team for the hard work you put in. Whatever our community's flaws (and there are many!), there are few other places online with a similar breadth of topics discussed in as much depth.

Barring the meta-posts, time spent procrastinating on the EA forum in 2022 was for me time well spent.

Is there any thought as to ways to change the karma system so that posts which were underrated get what they deserve immediately?

We could take away the bizarre mechanic where people with more karma have votes that are more strongly weighted.

I reckon that one leads to better rather than worse results.

How would you implement such a system? How could the system know if something is worth their karma points and something else is underrated?

see the post footnote:

"I looked at the number of people who had marked something as “most valuable,” and then divided by [karma score]^1.5. All of these were marked as most valuable by at least two people. 

Just dividing by karma didn’t change the list much, and dividing by karma^2 penalized karma too much. I played with a few other ways of modifying the “underrated-ness” metric, but they didn’t seem better."

More from Lizka
Curated and popular this week
Relevant opportunities