Often it’s really helpful to know who might be good at or potentially some day willing to join exciting projects.
We’re collecting that information, so we can share it with >20 longtermist orgs and >100 longtermist entrepreneurs and funders.
All you need to do is put your name, email and LinkedIn on this form. This will be quick if you have an up-to-date LinkedIn or online CV.
And if you want to, you can give us a bunch more information that might help connect you up with future projects.
Who should fill this out?
This is a census of people who might (now or any time in the future) be interested in joining or launching a project aimed at improving humanity's long-term prospects. This includes employees of current longtermist projects.
Why are we doing this?
- To populate a spreadsheet of people that various longtermist organisations and individuals might contact when hiring or looking for a co-founder;
- To help us better understand the skillsets and current employment of people interested in longtermism.
Who will see my response?
Your responses may be shared with any organisation doing longtermist work, such as the ones on this list.
Your responses may also be shared with more than 100 donors and entrepreneurs in the longtermist space who are looking to fund and start new projects, including the Future Fund regrantors. We will ask these people and organisations not to share your information further.
Why would you not want to do this?
- Your employer might see this! If you work for a longtermist org, your employer will understand that including your name does not mean you want to leave your job. We want you to fill this out, but feel free to skip any sections if that makes you more comfortable.
- We’re going to share this database with lots of people (>100 people and >20 orgs). So there’s some risk this ends up being shared more widely without our consent. Of course, we would take any breach of your data seriously, but it would also help if you could avoid including anything you wouldn’t want to be widely known.
- People might reach out to you pitching you on projects, roles and ideas. This is obviously what we want! But this might be a small cost on your time or your inbox.
Why should you do it anyway?
- This might be an extremely high impact use of a few minutes of your time.
- Organisations have been asking us (80,000 Hours) for a shareable list of people they can hire for years. So we’re finally going to have one!
- Hiring is really difficult and is a big bottleneck to building new orgs and starting new projects.
- We want to encourage more people to found new projects. This will also help connect founders to people who might be interested in co-founding or funding their projects.
Where can I comment on this census?
If you found a typo, or have an idea for how this census could be improved, please comment in this public doc so we can centrally track suggestions from across multiple sources. But feel free to comment below if you prefer.
Who’s we? This form is maintained by 80,000 Hours, and was designed in collaboration with Nick Beckstead at the Future Fund.