Update: Since September has passed, this thread is now off the frontpage, and few people are looking at it.
It might be a good idea to (also) make a frontpage post with the job listing (open) topic.
We’d like to help applicants and hiring managers coordinate, so we’ve set up two hiring threads.
So: consider sharing your information if you are hiring for positions in EA!
Please only post if you personally are part of the hiring company—no recruiting firms or job boards. Only one post per company, per month.
If it isn't a household name, please explain what your company does.
See the latest similar thread on Hacker News for example postings.
This was inspired by the talks around an EA common application, especially this comment. We thought it might be useful to replicate the "Who wants to be hired?" and "Who's hiring?" threads from the Hacker News forum.
Job boards / resources
- 80000 hours job board (spreadsheet version)
- Open job listings on this forum
- EA work club
- EA internships board
- Impact Colabs for volunteer and collaboration opportunities (full page view)
- EA Training Board
- 80000 hours LinkedIn group
- Animal Advocacy Careers job board (spreadsheet version)
- This list of job boards
- EA job postings and EA volunteering Facebook groups
- EA-aligned tech jobs spreadsheet
- Effective Thesis opportunities newsletter
- High Impact Professionals Talent Directory
- Did we forget any? Leave a comment or send us a message and we'll add it here!
This thread is a test
We’re not sure how much it will help, or how we should improve future similar attempts. So if you have any feedback, we’d love to hear it. (Please leave it as a comment or message us.)
The related thread: Who wants to be hired?
Quoted from the Hacker News thread.
Is there a physical location or office? Whom does the role report to? What are example emergencies where reservists would be activated? What would they do when activated? Are there comparable orgs in other domains I should index to when thinking about ALERT? How many hours / week, roughly? What does it mean that the role would not be on duty most days? Is there an existing staff or would one need to be hired? When the National Guard is activated they are called away to a physical space to work with others, is it like that?
Great questions. Most of the below could be reshaped by the director:
... (read more)
- No physical location - director has discretion. (One cool idea we had was to enlist existing teams at EA orgs, so that they're constantly building readiness and already colocated or functionally remote.)
- Role reports to the board, currently Jan Kulveit, Vishal Maini, Ales Flidr and me but likely to need more.
- Some unvetted examples we came up with: COVID in late December 2019; Russia-Ukraine (minor investigation from December 2021, expanding to active nuclear risk forecasting by end January); nuclear explosion of any kind; new large leaks of Snowden type; new physics apparently discovered; someone attempts climate engineering; global stilling; volcano acting weird; etc.
- See what we did during covid: massive fast data collection, fast great research, visualisation, pro bono consulting, serving on government advisory boards, policy design, making up for inadequate institutions of all kinds, coordination, countering bullshit. (This was all improvised; next time we'll do better.) 1DaySooner are a big inspiration too.
- Comparable orgs are Epidemic Forecasting, RAMP, MeSES, ALLFED, the strategic side of FEMA. None have